Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Still Here

We are still here at the hospital. After a few days of IV antibiotics her chest x ray came back a little bit worse. So now they are starting another type of medicine. From a Mom's perspective she is doing better - most of the time. It seems like she can be feeling great and then all of a sudden out of nowhere she goes downhill. This morning after her chest x ray she was curled up in a ball in the wheelchair crying- it was so sad. Then after a shower she was great, nearly running down the hall. Then this afternoon she took another turn for the worse. She is napping now, which will hopefully help her feel better.

I love my girlie so much. This time I have with her alone is very precious to me (although I wish the circumstances were better). I told her someday when she was as old as I am she wouldn't remember it all but I would never forget.

Some of things I hope I remember about this time is her desire to have me near. I am so often NOT a "good mom" (whatever that is- at any given moment) so when she wants me to cuddle in bed with her and this is a comfort to her I am glad. I hope I remember and can always remind her how brave she has been through this all. When she turned five and had to get shots she FREAKED out- I mean really freaked out, I couldn't even hold her. So for her to get an IV was a big deal. She was really scared but she held still and didn't even really cry. Yesterday and today the medicine they put into her IV really hurt (burns) and she gets so scared about it coming but she is doing well. I love that she wants to watch everything that is happening around her and to her. The nurses and lab techs keep trying to get her to not watch when they stick her with a needle but she wants to watch and I think this helps her (she is probably a control freak like her mama).

Well girlie, maybe someday you'll read this. I hope you know that I love you so very much and I'll always be here for you.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Aw, Jerusha this made me cry! I was hoping you'd post an update and to my suprise you did. I was praying for better news (as I am sure you were too)...like, you were going home. I can imagine this is so hard for you guys! Karis is a trooper. I showed Kayli the pic. of her in the hospital bed and she was so beside herself. Kayli doesnt really understand why ppl. go to the hospital. So she thinks she is staying there forever. I hope Karis gets better very soon!! I hope, other than this you are all doing well. Love you much! xoxo

ploon said...

Praying for you guys!

amy said...

oh my, jerusha. this made me cry, too. it is amazing what love God gives us for our children. karis may not remember this incident specifically, but she will have a sense and understanding of how she has been loved and cared for by you. and she will remember your support and love during her times of need. hang in there! the Lord will continue to be faithful, as He loves karis more than you do.

Anonymous said...

My heart really goes out to you all!! And to Karis... may the Lord bless her heart. And continue to give her grace and strength of soul. Children in hospitals--a very difficult sight. But I have watched the Lord give grace to children.....and that is an amazing sight. And may the Lord continue to bless this time with you and Karis together, Jerusha.

PS: I think you're a GREAT Mom.
Cynthia

Will and Sena said...

Jerusha, just wanted you to know that we are all (us and our CG) praying for Karis and for you and Erik. Thank you for sharing in the midst of your own, i'm sure, fatigue and exhaustion! May the Lord keep you near during this trial.

We love you!
~~Sena

Jonalee said...

We're praying for you guys!! love you!

Katie said...

Praying for you all and so grateful to hear that Karis is on the road to recovery, though slowly. Soak up that sweet mommy/daughter time...what a gift amidst the trial.