Friday, May 29, 2009

4 Years Old


This picture was taken 4 years ago when we brought our Jotham home from the hospital. How long it seems.
Jotham, your arrival into our world came as a surprise, even though you were over a week late. I expected to labor for 12 hours and was surprised to find you in my arms 4 hours after my first contraction and less than 10 minutes after pushing. I remember Daddy telling me that I was doing great (pushing) and thinking he was lying to me. He also told me that I was going to like it so much better (than 12 hours of labor) at the time I thought he was crazy. Now after having 4 children I think he was right, my labor with you was probably the most fun.
Daddy told Grandma Susan on the phone, "He is pretty ugly, we love him, but he is UGLY." You were, your nose was smashed to one side and you had bruises and scratches all over your face. It was like you had been in a boxing ring.
So now, here you are at 4- it is so hard to believe. You weigh 35 lbs and are 40 1/2 inches tall putting you at 50/50%. You are a very joyful boy- I LOVE your laugh (except when you start to screech) and tickling you is so much fun. You are a sensitive little guy as well. You are easily scared (especially by the bears in our backyard- the ones that don't exist). You are very affectionate. You love cuddling with Mommy & Daddy. You adore your baby brother. You rarely retaliate against your little sister (who bullies you around). I love your role in our family (18 months both ways to your sisters). You play one way with Karis, following her lead and entering her world and then another way with Cia, often arguing with her over random issues and trying to get her to do what you want (problem is she hasn't learned how to follow). I pray these sisters will be good for your soul, teaching you leadership and compassion.
Your intellect remains to be seen, you don't know any letters except Q, you can count but don't really understand the concept of number to object. But you love stories and books and I hope this continues. A dear friend recently told me she thinks you are charming- I agree. I adore talking with you and learning what is going on in your brain. I love that you love to sing but not publicly. I love the conversations your stuffed animals have with you when you are going to sleep at night. I'm not yet sure how I feel about them telling you disobey but we'll work on that.
It is amazing to me that, Lord willing, this is just the beginning. Who will you be next year? Or at 12, 16, 20- I just can't imagine.
So Jotham became mighty because he ordered his ways after the Lord his God. 2 Chronicles 27:6 Oh Lord may it be so.

3 comments:

Cara said...

Amen, friend.

amy said...

sweet post, jerusha! happy b-day, jotham!

Gina said...

I love your honesty. You're children are blessed to have you for their mama.d