Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Show Honor


Romans 12:20 says, "Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor." I think from time to time I'd like to honor someone on our blog. The lady I'd like to start with my dear friend Jenn. What can I say that can adequately describe the grace that this lady is to me!

On May 21, 2002 I meet this wonderful friend. We had just moved to the area and were attending our first care group at Earles home. It was a ladies meeting and I can still picture the room. Jenn was several months pregnant with her first child. In the weeks that followed we spent an enormous amount of time together mostly as couples. As couples, there was an immediate connection. But I would say that as ladies Jenn & I had to work at our friendship. When we first met, she had just stopped working, I was just starting. She was really into scrap booking, I had never even tried. The only thing we clearly had in common was a love for our Savior and our church. And through that love for our Savior we have a developed a love for each other.

In the five years that I have known her I have experienced the blessing of fellowship and the richness of a true friend. Jenn is one of the most real people I know. She is quick to confess what is going on in heart, even when it is really ugly. In this she receives the grace for change that God promises (James 5:16). Jenn is gifted in hospitality, opening her home for meetings, play groups, ladies teas, scrap booking events. Whenever she does these things it is clear she loves to use her home as a place to bless others. I could one with listing the many evidences of God's grace on her life and character but instead I'll share a recent story.

On December 18th, I was pregnant with our baby Mercia. When my water unexpectedly broke that afternoon Jenn was the first person I called (Erik was home with me already :) ). We laughed on the phone and I know she delighted in the excitement of all that was to come. After getting to the hospital and learning that our baby was breech and I would need a C-Section, I told Erik call Jenn. When he did she was the one asking the doctor about other options. Her care for us was further evidences by her starting a prayer chain, picking up my mother in law and driving up to the hospital at 11 pm at night, then organizing 6 weeks of meals for us, all while taking care of her own 3 children. She is a phenomenal mom and wife. My children adore her, Karis lights up every time she see her. And I am so grateful to have her in my life.
*The picture is of Jenn holding Mercia on recent walk we took. It should be noted that she pulled a wagon with three kids AND pushed a stroller with two while I tried to get my disobeying son to come. :)

No comments: