Thursday, June 21, 2007

Refuge

I live my life trying to control my circumstances so that I am not challenged. I make sure the kids nap on time. I avoid taking all of them to the grocery store. The list goes on. I'm sure anyone who reads this blog could add to the list of ridiculous things I do to "control" my world. Feel free to comment and let me know (because I'm sure I'm not even aware of half of it).

The other morning Erik gave me this verse:

"This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him." Psalm 18:30

I was immediately struck. Is God my refuge? Do I take refuge in Him? I realized that I am so busy trying to control that I miss the opportunity to find refuge in Him. God doesn't want me not have challenges so much as He wants me to find refuge in Him when those challenges come.

This morning I read Psalm 16 (great Psalm by the way). Verses 1-2 says, "Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;I have no good apart from you.”"

Again, I was struck. Do I really believe this, that I have NO GOOD apart from God? My life reflects the answer is no. When I don't get what I think is good, a break from the kids, not having to wait in line checking out in Walmart, my heart responds in anger. I am certainly not saying (while making lunch for demanding child), I have no good apart from you, Oh Lord.
But God is my refuge and I have no good apart from Him. Good is not a peaceful home, obedient children, errands without inconvenience. Good is God! God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

1 comment:

Matt said...

So true friend! I'm right there with you. May all of our circumstances only drive us nearer to the Savior!
Helen