Saturday, June 2, 2007

Philippians and Doing Life

I’ve been reading and meditating of Philippians lately. I was thinking about these verses this morning and wanted to share what God's been teaching me.

Philippians 1:27 Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel and not frightened in anything by your opponents. … For it has been granted to you that for the sake of the Christ you should no only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I sill have. 2:1 So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant that yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

Such a rich passage of scripture. There were some key things that stuck out to me:
1. The call that God has for Christians to live out their lives in community. We are be of one spirit, with one mind striving side by side. How blessed Erik & I feel we are to be a part of our church. We often come away from times with other couples and one of us will say, “I love our church.” And we’ll reflect on how kind God has been to give us other people to do life with.

2. As I was thinking about this phrase, “striving side by side for faith of the gospel and not frightened in anything by your opponents.” I was struck by how grateful I am to have other Christian moms walking beside me in this season. More than any practical bit of wisdom for mothering I need faith for each day. Faith that God is at work in my life and in my children and that He is, by his grace, drawing us closer to him. I can often think my opponents are 3 years, 2 years, and 5 months old but really my opponents are the lies I believe. Lies of unbelief. It is easy to become discouraged by the challenges of each day. It is easy to be weary. My husband and the other moms I walk through this season with are such an encouragement in Christ to me. They help me have faith for another day of constant demands and little appreciation.

3. And then this verse, “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant that yourselves.” Humility is an area of my life that I am always in need of growing in. I am a very prideful person. And though I need apply this verse to all my relationship I was convicted this morning to not just think of this verse in relation to other adult but especially in relation to my children. The whole passage is about living our lives together. I spend more time living out life with them than anyone else. Do I consider them “more significant” than myself? Not really. Do I serve them endlessly? Yes but not with the joy I should. If I considered them as more significant my service to them would be an honor and joy, not drudgery. I would not find myself complaining as often. I complain and lack joy because I am looking to my own interests and not to theirs.

May God grant me the grace to apply these truths today and then again tomorrow, etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jerusha. You have read my mind. Thank you so much for posting your thoughts on this passage. It has really hit home. I have been struggling lately as well with not putting my girls interests above my own and really lacking joy. I am so thankful for God's sustaining grace and children who are so eager to forgive! Love you and miss you.

Krista

Cara said...

Amen, Jerusha! One of my favorite passges in all of Scripture--because I need it so badly! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. As always, your wisdom provokes me!

Jenn said...

Jerusha,

Thank you for sharing this passage - faith is so important isn't it? His Word is such a faithful reminder of what is truly important in the midst of a world where we are bombarded with a message so contrary - thank you for sharing hope-filled truth!