Sunday, January 4, 2009

Psalm 16

I have long loved Psalms 16:5-6 but this morning was really ministered to by whole psalm in its entirety. I copied it below and highlighted some of the verses that stand out with some thoughts below.

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.”

As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips.
The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

In this season where my circumstances are unclear my hearts needs to be set on my God. It is in him that I find my heart glad. No matter what the outcome of Erik's health or our son's birth, God has not and will not abandon us. He has made known to us the most important thing through his son, Jesus. He has given us life in him and it is in his presence that there is the fullness of joy. How true I find this to be. When I am tempted to think about my circumstances I can become anxious and easily fall into self-pity but when I focus on the Lord, remember his goodness and kindness toward me in all things my heart is at peace.

Truly, Lord, I have no good apart from you.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Jerusha! I have been praying for you and Shef as you encounter these trials. I love this psalm too especially that "the lines have fallen for me in pleasant places." It is a psalm I reference a lot in pain. May God continue to carry you through this and give you grace for the delivery...indeed "we have a beautiful inheritance."

Jonalee said...

Thanks for posting this, Jerusah - such a good reminder for all of us!!

amy said...

thanks for sharing how the Lord has been ministering to you! i have been thinking about you guys often... and will be praying for you throughout the day tomorrow.

"He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" (rom 8:32)

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!

Katie said...

Praying for you all today.