Friday, October 3, 2008

Things I Love about My Kids

A friend of mine recently wrote a post about this and I think it is a wonderful way to capture some of the things I love about them in this particular moment of time, so I'm stealing her idea.

In no particular order:

1. I love how much Cia loves to read and I especially love how I am her favorite reading partner. She loves to get books and then if I am standing someplace look up at me and says, "Read, Read, READ, READ." Until I say, "Do you want to read that?" Then she grunts (her way of saying yes) and she is off to find a cozy spot for us to sit. If I happen to be sitting someplace when she gets her reading urge she turns around and plops herself on my lap with her book- I just love that.

2. I love the whole sibling thing. From the new sister thing that is going with with Cia & Karis to their basic enjoyment of each other. I love that K & C sit next to each other in the backseat. I like peaking at them holding hands or watching Karis tickle Cia and her giggle or Cia asking Karis to "read" her a book and Karis reading it. So fun. I'm really looking forward to them sharing a room. I'm sure there will be challenges but I think it will be so fun for them. I also love how excited Jotham and Karis are for Jedidiah. Jotham thinks that Jedi will be sharing a room with him and started to cry when I told him that he'll be sleeping in the crib until he is bigger. I love that Cia's favorite word is "Jot" and she asks for him whenever he isn't around. I love that Jotham almost never responds when she abuses him, which she does often.

3. As much as it scares me that he is going to be some crazy maniac, I love Jotham's growing masculinity. I love that everything, from a foam triangle to a cup with a piece of paper on top becomes some sort of weapon. We are learning how to train him in being a protector and not a "bad man." So now he uses his weapons to hunt for wolves and bears.

4. I love how quickly Karis is able to learn bible verses. I wish I had her mind. I pray we are able to help her meditate and apply these truths in her life.

5. I love the creativity in which my kids play. I think it is hilarious how they use pieces of "junk" and make them into something meaningful to them. A ribbon in our house has been everything from a sling shot to a harness for a horse (which was actually a ride on car). One of my favorite games that they played this summer was the "papa game," as they called it, they would line up about 50 feet from each other and then one of them would say, "Papa" and the other would say, "You're back" and then they would run toward each other and fall on the ground hugging. We later realized that they were acting out the prodigal son story.

6. I love the big kisses and hugs I get from Jotham when he doesn't want me to leave. If I am tucking him in he says he needs to give me a big hug and he tries to hold me down so I can't leave. When I drop him off in his class at church he hugs and kisses me and then says he needs more hugs and more kisses. I am 100% okay with being manipulated in this way.

7. I love how playful Cia is. She loves to be tickled and chased. She loves to dance. She thinks everything is a game, which is not always fun for Mommy. She will actually lie down on the ground and ask Jotham to come over and blow on her stomach, just so she can laugh.

8. I love how much they love their Daddy. They love when he comes home so they can jump on him and give him kisses. Cia loves to stand and the door and watch him leave saying "Bye, Bye, Bye, Bye" for the longest time and whenever she walks by the door she peaks out and says, "Daddy?" Karis will have an emotional break-down if he doesn't give her a hug (or if she doesn't notice when he does). They love to greet with him and church and will jump at any opportunity to be with him.

9. I love that Karis seems to love my love for reading. She lets me read to her endless amounts of books, if only there was more time and less distraction in the day. One night after putting her to bed I went back in her room 15 minutes later and pretended it was morning just so I could read her a few more chapters in the book we were reading. I hope her love of reading continues and especially her love for God's word.

10. I love that I am able to be here at home to watch them grow and to learn from them, to witness their funny moments, and share in their joys and sorrows. Children are a gift and I do not always appreciate mine. I hope I continue to grow in delighting in them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love those kids too.