Friday, October 17, 2008

New Jersey

Last week when Erik was away I went up to visit my family in NJ for a few days. It worked out that my Dad was at a meeting nearby, he had taken the train down, so he drove back with me. The kids and I had a great visit and I have lots of fun memories from the trip, which I'm recording here, because I know I'll forget them in time.
1. On our trip north we stopped for dinner at Cracker Barrel, when the waitress asked Jotham what he wanted for dinner he looked at her and said, "Wild Turkey." Just cracked me and my dad up.

2. Getting to spend a morning with my Mom, sister in law, Linda, and nieces and nephews at the park. The kids had a great time running around and it was so nice to be able to catch up with Linda, who I just love.
3. Going to Hacklebarney State Park. This is not far from where I grew up and I used to go hiking there a lot. There is a great stream that runs through it and I had been thinking about how much the kids would enjoy it. I had also been wanting to take the kids to a cider mill. It turns out there is one very close to the state park. My Dad, the kids and I went to the cider mill, ate the BEST donuts I have ever had (apple cider donuts- fresh and warm- amazing), drank fresh warm cider and learned about cider making. Two highlights from the cider mill were the black cat that caught a yellow canary and ate it sitting under my Dad's chair while we were eating our donuts- so gross- so funny that this black cat had yellow feathers stuck all over its face. Second highlight the golden retriever that ate Mercia's graham cracker right out of her hand and the way she cried because her snack had been stolen.



At the State Park the kids LOVED being able to walk/run on the trails and jump from rock to rock on the stream. It was really cold but so much fun. I can't wait to take them back again another time. Thanks Dad for taking us that morning- so much fun.

No comments: