Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Qualify

I recently posted some quotes from some home schools books I have been reading. I thought I should give some explanations as to why these quotes stuck out to me. They basically stuck out to me because I battle with pride, self-righteousness and sinful comparison and I felt like these quotes touched on how these sins could easily come out for me in the education realm.

For example, the tendency to compare my children to someone else to see if they are "on track." This could be in something educational or in something behavioral. The question for me to be constantly asking myself is, "Am I setting the standard for my kids or myself based on what I observe in others and/or their children or am I trying to obey what God has called me to? Am I walking in faith toward the Lord, seeking his approval or am I seeking the approval of others?"

So the quote about educational testing is simply a good reminder to me of what is really important- not that my kids are "smarter" than other kids or even "just the same" as others but that we are seeking to grow in what God has called us to, whether that be reading, math or the pursuit of the spiritual disciplines. I do understand that educational testing has a place and I don't plan on not testing my kids when needed and or required. But I hope when I do I am able to hold onto the big picture and not lose sight of what matters most.

The other quote on fragments of information is healthy reminder to me that I don't know anything. Even as I read all these books on parenting or home schooling, I have only just skimmed the surface and I have so much to learn, understand and apply. I truly need to grow in applying humility in my life and not thinking I pridefully "know" something because I have read a book or two, seen a documentary, or read an article.

And the reason I am posting on this now is because, frankly, I am likely to reread those quotes in a few months and forget why they were important to me.

1 comment:

tessa said...

"what is really important- not that my kids are "smarter" than other kids or even "just the same" as others but that we are seeking to grow in what God has called us to, whether that be reading, math or the pursuit of the spiritual disciplines."

such good truth for both myself and training our kids some day. thanks for sharing those quotes!