Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Call to Suffer

I recently listened to this excellent message by John Piper. It was given several years ago at his church on mother's day. I can often, in the midst of my sinful attitude, think that I am suffering as I "endure" hard days (please forgive my complaining- but that is what is often in my heart). Today, as I think of the many excellent mothers I know I am struck by another class of mothers all together and at awe at the way God works in their lives. There is Helen, whose husband is having his third surgery to remove a brain tumor, while she suffers through a difficult pregnancy (for the sixth time) and whose rock solid love for the Savior deepens her desire to worship him through this trial. There is Kriscinda, who lost her precious Micah here on earth only find a deeper love for the Savior. There is Kelly, whose faith and joy amidst what seems like a mystery of medical problems in her little girls can only be from God. There is Jen, who joyfully and serves her family of 6 through the cancer her littlest is now battling.

These ladies show a deeper reality of the gospel and the call that God has placed on our lives to suffer. Though I weep for their suffering I am glad to be able to witness the work of our awesome God in their lives.

No comments: