Monday, June 22, 2009

Reading

I'm a big reader. I really, really love to read. I can often feel like I don't have enough time to read all that I want to read. When I hear of a book I want to read I almost always try to get it right away, from the library, I am a HUGE fan of libraries- endless amounts of organized books that don't need to be cleaned up or put away in my house- what could be better.

To curb my reading obsession a few years ago I decided to only read fiction in the summer. Today, I came across this quote by Ron Bently that has changed my mind.

“Good fiction conveys truth even though it’s not factual.”

This is so true! I can't tell you the way my life has been blessed by good fiction. Les Misérables, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Jane Eyre- these are such favorites and have enriched my life greatly often drawing me closer to truth.

Now, as a Mom I love introducing my kids to great books. I am always on the lookout for good authors and stories. If you ever have any suggestions please pass it my way.

Two of my current favorites from the library today:
The Old Woman Who Named Things by Cynthia Rylant. This was a "Mommy why are you crying?" book.
Dogger by Shirley Hughes I'm enjoying this author quite a bit these days. She also wrote All About Alfie which the kids and I really enjoyed. My kids can very much relate to her stories and I like how the people in the illustrations are very ordinary people (like a Mom with a some extra baby weight).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

so great...you "blow me out of the water" with your mom reading...I so wish that I would read more these days as I've always been a "reader"...thanks for the encouragement...i guess this is sort of a plug for home schooling, eh??

Joy said...

I remember you making me read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!

Here's a recommendation from my own lengthy summer reading list: Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas. The women's book club I do at my church is reading it this summer.

Mama-cita Whitney said...

i'm a big fan of the library too! and to add to that i joined Paperback Swap to get the books we LOVE that i want to reread over the years (and other that i think i'll want) for free.

and thanks for some more books to add to my list! i value your suggestions!!!

Unknown said...

I agree on the Shirley Hughes books, Jerusha! We have loved all the Alfie books.....I loved it that the houses had toys on the floor....and jelly on the table. Seemed so real. I love the expressions on their faces.

Your comments on fiction are inspiring to me, too. Thanks.

Love, love,
Cynthia