Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring Break

You probably know that I am a Jersey Girl. I grew up there and lived most of my life in NJ and I love it, the armpit of America. My family has a house at the shore and it is one of my most favorite places to be. This past weekend we went up for a little mini-vacation. One of the highlights of our time was being able to spend some time with my family. We were even able to get a photo of everyone together. I think it has been two years since we did this.


Our dear friends, the Dabbs, were able to come for a few of the days we were there. One of those days, Jenn & I took Aubreigh, Karis & Jedi to the Statue of Liberty and into the city. My paternal grandmother was from Germany and when she around five years old she came over on a boat and went through Ellis Island. She was a remarkable woman who lived a remarkable life, I wish she had written her life story down before she died because it could have been a book. Her name is on the memorial wall at Ellis Island, this was the first time I was able to see it. It was very moving for me. I'm so glad that I had Jedi with me. His middle name is Anton, which was his Great-great Grandfather's first name (and also my Dad and brother's middle name). Jenn took a photo for me of him next to it. My grandmother would have cherished it.

After visiting the Statue of Liberty we went into NYC (for those of you outside the NY metro area the Statue of Liberty is not in NYC, it is on an island between NJ & NY, you can access it only by ferry from either NJ or Battery Park, NY). In NYC we went to my cousin's bakery, Billy's. If you happen to be in NYC it it very good. And also a fun restaurant called Peanut Butter & Company, almost everything is made with peanut butter. It was a great day bonding with my girlie.


It was a very restful and refreshing time for me. Erik is an amazing servant and went above and beyond to make the time restful for me. I'm so grateful for the time we had and even more grateful for my husband who made it possible.

No comments: