Monday, March 31, 2008

Parenting Thoughts

I've been reading a lot of parenting books and article lately. I can never get enough instruction in this area. I am constantly in need of reminders to love and train my children in the discipline and admonition of the Lord. As a result of my reading, I've been thinking about justice and child training. How respond when my kids are not treated "fairly" and if I am training them to have a biblical world view. So I Karis and I have been talking about these verses from Matthew 5:39-42:

39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

This morning I read this, makes me wonder, what would I do in this situation.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Wow, I loved that story, of course, had he been able to share the gospel with this young boy it could have been truly life changing. We've had some interesting situations outside where neighbor kids have been quite mean to our older boys. It reveals my heart (part of me wants to go out there and let them have it!) but they are learning to be kind to those who hurt them and have even gone out and confronted in love the different things that are going on. Anyway, like you, I have SO much to learn and desperately need God's grace to help me! Thanks for your example of pursuing excellency in mothering. love you!
helen

Mama-cita Whitney said...

Wow... Wow! You've given me something else to think about as I struggle to "bear with one another in love" (eph 4). thanks, jerusha!