Monday, October 22, 2007

Cinderella Man

A few weeks ago Erik planned a wonderful romantic evening for us at home. He went to the grocery store, picked out food, cooked it, set up a little table for us in the family room with candles and music playing. We had a wonderful time talking and enjoying each other. Then he read me a beautiful poem that he wrote for me and had me in tears. I'm so grateful for this evening with my husband.

Later in the evening we watched the movie Cinderella Man. This a favorite of ours. There are many things about it that I love. The love story between a husband and wife. The character of a man in raising a family in the midst of challenging circumstances. I've also particularly enjoyed the Paul Giamatti's portrayal of Joe Gould, the coach (apart from one sense where he takes the Lord's name in vain repeatedly).

Watching it this time I was struck by a something new. In the boxing senses, the coach is able to see things that the boxer can't. He helps the boxer with his strategy and he encourages him when he thinks he can't go anymore. This was a helpful reminder to me of how much I need the body of Christ in my life. I am in a fight against my sin and because I am getting hit in the face I can't see clearly. I need someone in my corner, someone who is for me, someone who can see what I can't see. I need someone to speak truth to me when I think I can't fight anymore, when I just want to give up. Someone to remind that "in Christ the enemy has already been defeated."

I am so grateful to have my husband and my dear friends as voices of truth in my life. Apart from this grace I am sure that I would have been knocked out long ago.

1 comment:

Heather said...

that's very good...very insightful, and so very true. we've been so blessed!